Listen.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

January 18, 2009

2008.

Reflection is a good thing. I heard an interesting thought about Proverbs tonight at church. Proverbs were written as little bits of advice a child could carry through life so they could avoid making simple, yet destructive mistakes.

"A mistake is human. A mistake made over and over and over again is stupid."
-Pastor Jeff

Here are my reflections from 2008:

Things I did in 2008 I had never done before…

Got married (and the obvious thing that immediately follows...yeah.), cried at a funeral, voted for president, filed taxes, reported for a newspaper

Last year’s New Years resolutions…
I'm not certain. Heck, I don't even know what I did for New Year's last year. Hmm. I always try the "read the Bible in one year" resolution, but that only lasts a couple days. The main one on my mind last year was to make it to my wedding day in one piece.

Countries visited…
No where but good ol' America.

Something I’d like to have in 2009 that I lacked in 2008…
A college degree? Nah, that won't happen. I would love it if a family member didn't die this year.

A date from 2008 that will remain etched upon my memory…
August 30, 2009, when I found out my 9 year old cousin died.

Biggest achievement of the year?
Becoming a wife, and realizing my need to study English instead of Social Work. Ooooooo, and I got a job in June! Two weeks after I got married. I'd say that was a great accomplishment with Michigan's economy!

Biggest failure?
Hmm...not going to Chicago to hang with my best friend. Instead, driving home :( I really didn't like that.

The best thing you bought….

An education. Well, my parents are paying a lot for it, but I really appreciate my education. I love my books.


Something I got really, really, really excited about?
I know this is repetitive, but I got excited about my wedding nig...day. :)

Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Sadder. Even though I am happy, these 17 days have not been the easiest, beginning with news on the very first day of the year!

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying, stressing, wasting time online, complaining in my mind about having to do housework...

How I spent Christmas…
With Chris and Nicky, and of course the hubs.

A Haiku that sums up my year:
weeping blue casket

and quaint honeymoon cabin

mingles bittersweet.

Books that I read (or listened to)...

All the Harry Potter books, Oedipus Rex, My Name is Asher Lev, The Gift of Asher Lev, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Woman in the Wall, Great Expectations, Twilight (don't read it!), Too Late the Phalarope, Chinese Cinderella, Girl Meets God, Fifth Chinese Daughter, Goethe's Faust, Crossing the River, and many more...

Favorite TV program(s)…
LOST!!!!!!!!! I'm "lost" without it...hahahaha.

Favorite film of this year?
Ummm....I really liked Definitely, Maybe. and What Happens in Vegas.

What I did on my birthday?
I worked, 2-8pm :(. I remember, because it was a Tuesday and it was the worst shift ever. But when I got to work, I got a free snickers candy bar! And then after work, Cody took me (randomly) to Coldstone, and a bunch of friends were there for a surprise ice cream get-together to celebrate!

What kept me sane?
A spouse's love. Music. And Nicky Hamilton.

A quote that sums up my year:

"And since you know you cannot see yourself,
so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
will modestly discover to yourself,
that of yourself which you yet know not of." -William Shakespeare

A song lyric that sums up my year:

"So, i won't hesitate no more,

no more, it cannot wait i'm sure
there's no need to complicate our time is short
this is our fate
I'm yours" -Jason Mraz

No comments:

Anniversary